One of the diseases to look out for at this time the year is Pasteurella. Below are is information on the disease.
- Acute death of animals
- Fever, lack of appetite
- Coughing, loss of condition, difficult breathing, discharge from nose and ears.
- Animals lie down with neck stretched out.
The disease is caused by Pasteurella haemolytica and Pasteurella multicocida (bacterium)
- Vaccinate all animals according to vaccination programme. The vaccine does not give complete protection therefore cases of Pasteurella can still occur.
- Kids are vaccinated 2 times with an interval of 4-6 weeks.
- Adults are vaccinated with alum (potassium aluminium sulphate) vaccinate.
- This disease is stress related. Make sure animals are protected against possible stress: weather, weaning, scarcity of feed, etc.FMB